Thursday, November 6, 2008

After traveling 14 miles by snow machine through the snow covered tundra dotted with frozen lakes we arrived at the Bering Sea once again. The forms in the back between the sky and the sea are small ice bergs. I was surprised at how many there were. I just checked the temp and right now it is 5 degrees. It could not have been much more that 10 degrees on our way out.
This picture shows the mounds of ice that build up when the sea is trying to freeze over. How can there be such beautiful places? Why can I see them? It seems that God does love us to let us share in this enormous testament of the universe only he could create.
I was trying to get the larger ice berg at the left of the picture. It looked as large as my poor lonesome Ford truck waiting for me in Arkansas.
Here is Susan and our friend who took us on another once-in-a-lifetime adventure. This is Francine, and also her husband Raymond was there to guide us on the many snowmobile trails to the Bering Sea. Susan could not get in the sea, so she licked a piece of ice. Yep! Salty!
Here is Susan, Francine, a teacher we work with, and one of our students. They look so small. I am a loss for words to describe the vast emptiness we found and which greedily swallowed us for a while. It puts a speck of dust in perspective. We were the dust and God's creation was the rest.

2 comments:

Frank Baker said...

I'm awed at the vastness. It's an amazing world, but too cold for me. Your pictures are wonderful
.

Winifred said...

These are great pictures, thank you for sharing them.

I've just been reading a book about the Arctic and the icefield off Greenland. It was a sort of spy story set during the Cold War, Target 5 by Colin Forbes. The descriptions of the icy environment were excellent, pressure ridges, ghost icebergs, exploding icebergs, ice edges meeting and black frost. Your pictures help visualise the scenes.