Saturday, October 18, 2008

October 18

Today, Susan sent me to take pictures of the developing ice on the Yukon River. You can see the ice forming along the river's edge. In the fore ground is some driftwood cut and piled for someone to use in their sweat house. The native Alaskans do not bath they sweat to clean their bodies.
It is cold today. The wind is blowing from I don't know where, certainly not the Sahara. You can see the ice start to pile up. A lot of the boats have been lifted out of the river and put up to be replaced with snow machines. That is what Alaskans call snow mobiles. Many are excited for winter. Safe routes are marked on the river and people go much faster than boats. Sometimes the river breaks through and leaves a couple of feet of water on the top of the ice. I have been told the snow machines just keep going, but the ride can become wet as well as cold.
Here is a fishery boat. The engines are as long as I am tall. Notice it takes three axles. One of my friends went out with a native to get fire wood. He said they would crash into the ice, back up and crash into it again when they go in ice that was thick. He said he has never been so cold.
The river piles up the ice on top of firmer ice making what looks like drifts. It will take a few feet of snow to make travel smooth over this river.
This is about three inches thick. This is a close up of the drifts of ice on the river. They are 2 to 3 feet tall in places. I walk from our house down through the dusty town along the icy river by to beautiful town dump which leads to the cold airport. From the airport I walk across a mile stretch of destroyed road which comes out at the health clinic. I think it might be about a two and one half mile walk. Last night on this walk I saw a pretty big red fox near the junk yard by the river. When I was behind the dump I turned around for some reason and another red fox was following me with ten feet. I talked to him about my dogs at home. He or she stopped to listen until I finished my story. I turned to leave and then turned back and the fox had vanished. Of course, I had no camera. I had my camera tonight in case I saw them again. No fox.

1 comment:

Frank Baker said...

Great pictures and all very interesting, but too cold for me. Do you all have a snow machine? I mentioned to several people at Church Sunday about your blog, and all were eager to hear about you all. Have you thought about a weather gadget so we can have the temperature along with the time? I have one from Weatherbug, and it seems to work fine.