Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Emmonak, Alaska Here We Are


After a couple of days staying in an off brand motel in Anchorage, we moved to a Sheridan Hotel in downtown. It was about $300 a night for someone coming off the street, which, of course, we could not afford. Lower Yukon School District was our host for the next two days of intensive, informative sessions of instruction. A good person by the name of Grant took Susan and I shopping around Anchorage and gave us much needed advice about shopping for the Bush. He is like many educators who I have ran across in my teaching career. They have infinite patience, kindness, goodness, and a love for their fellow human beings. I, though, remain a work in progress. With all the good examples I have found in Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Alaska; someday, I may,at least, be able to act like I have those traits.
After we left Anchorage by air we arrived a Bethel. From there we took a small 10 seater plane to our new home at Emmonak. Susan's stomach did not appreciate the roller coaster ride. I laughed and laughed at her expressions of discomfort when the stuff in her stomach was pressured by the falling plane up to the very back of her tongue. I know I am bad. I admit it. Anyway, when we got there a young man from Arizona, kind of a sufer dude type, said he had the same fluid discomfort. As it turns out, when we had to fly to Mountain Village for more intense new teacher training, we had a very smooth flight and both enjoyed the pleasure of the Alaska scenery.

Get this: The school is run down and in need of paint and eblow greese. It looks like we teachers will have to do the painting and cleaning when we return from Mountain Village. I am okay with that.

We are not sure what we are teaching or were we will be teaching. On the bright side we have recieved a good education about the culture and we have a fellow teacher who grew up in the village. She is very nice and has pledged to help us learn as much about the culture as possible as we are teaching her friend's children and relative's children. As we walked around Emmonak the adult people were very friendly and would shake our hands in welcome. They would thank us for coming to teach their children. Susan and I are going to work very hard for those parents.

This evening we went to an native dance and country western dance. The native dancers were accompined by native crafted drums. Their dances tell stories and confey emotion along with beautifully expressed hand and body movements. I can not wait to learn the stories. Maybe, one was about a crane and another a bear, I think.

We used Skype to talk to my daughter, Sarah. The next day her finance, Ben, helped us to see each other. That was wonderful for Susan and I. We were filled with love so quickly when we saw Sarah we became over whelmed. I hope we can get my other daughter, Abby, hooked up. (To Skype) We appreciate all the people who have the backs of our daughters and will never forget their kindness while Susan and I are working in Alaska. If you do not know what (have the backs of our daughters) means go to Blytheville Middle School or High School and ask one of my brother or sister students I left there. I still have many of their pictures and laugh about the fun times and good things we learned about each other while in school together.

No comments: